Sunday, July 18, 2010

2 BRavE SoULs

I was stuck in beach traffic forever it seemed. When I arrived at the higgledy piggledy wall made of used brick going every which way with seashells, rocks and ceramics mixed in here and there, I was completely enchanted. I rang the bell and when the green doors opened, the pretty blond said "We are really brave souls." I laughed because I knew exactly what she meant. The night before I started thinking that I must be out of my mind to be meeting someone from blog world at their home and not a coffee shop. But then I thought there's probably not too many serial killers preying on middle aged women at their million dollar beach houses! I walked into a courtyard made of the same wavy bricks, with the cottage style home just ahead, the grey ocean in the background. This cottage was amazing, something surely out of a magazine but of course she is an interior designer so it had to be wonderful.
I met Paulette because of my whiny post where I complained about being jobless and not knowing for sure where my life was headed. Poor Paulette, she was worried I was going to loose my home and starve. But in my whiny,woe is me mood, I was of course being dramatic because that is what we writer/artist types do sometimes. Being very much the encourager, we talked for hours one night on the phone before I headed down there last Friday. The hostess was as delightful as the house I am glad to say. We painted ceramics, ate a wonderful healthy lunch and trekked into town on foot for shopping and dinner.
She is an amazing artist and I must admit I was in awe of her large studio. It was crammed full of her creations and gave me the much inspiration I've needed. There was a beautiful one-of-a-kind vase she made that I couldn't take my eyes off. Of course I brought down some of my goodies to show her and there was a piece she liked of mine and suggested a trade. It was difficult to pick a piece. Seriously, I will take a picture of her studio when I go back and you will understand why!
After dinner we arrived back to the cottage after dark and I made one last stop to the bathroom before heading home and when I came out she was holding the gorgeous turquoise vase. I'm sure my heart stopped for a few seconds as she handed it to me. What an amazing day it was and I have my beautiful vase sitting here to remind me of our brave day.

4 comments:

  1. From one brave soul to another,
    Thank you !
    Blogland can be such a rich blessing full of like minded creatives, inspiring, encouraging and sharing beauty in all forms of artistic expression.
    I am so glad we said "yes "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous wall and a beautiful vase!! You made a great friend through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a super fun and lovely turquoise vase! and how fabulous you two got to get together :)

    i love hearing about your travels, julie.

    best wishes to you!
    juliette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Julie,

    Just passing by and saying hello...and congrats on such an amazing book! It really is...

    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete