Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Glitterfest




Some of the girls that sold and all went to good homes!
Well, I fully intended on writing about Glitterfest but wouldn't you know it? My camera battery died! I will tell about it anyway, but without pictures of the most amazing booths filled with the most charming handmade treasures. This was the second show I've ever done and both shows were just 2 weeks apart. To say I was nervous is an understatement. You just never know how your work will be received or if the show will provide your clientele. This show, like my first, Chateau de Fleurs, was well organized, thank goodness and the vendors very friendly and helpful. All of the booths were amazingly gorgeous and so well put together. I am still on that learning curve! The show was well attended and I am blown away by how many originals I sold. I met the most wonderful women who just made me feel well, good about my art. I so enjoyed talking to them about the process and the inspiration. There were a few celebs that stopped by to say hello. Jenny Doh made the rounds wearing one of her cute little dresses. The always sweet and very supportive, Beth Livesay from Stampington came by also. It's always good to see her. My very first buyer, Maggie came up from Long Beach. Yes, she bought a piece from me a year and a half ago when I was showing my work at Stamp Your Heart Out in Claremont for their art walk. I have to laugh at how nervous I was for that. It was the very first time anyone saw my art in person other than my family! Maggie has been a faithful follower since, taking several of my classes.
I learned so much from these shows. First, always remember to check the camera! Second, not to stress out so much. It may be a day with great sales and if it's not, it will be a great day of making new friends and contacts. I set up 2 more shows before the holidays and was approached about doing classes at someones shop. Managing stores my whole life, I made sure I had all price points represented. That worked well for me. I realize not everyone can afford to buy an original but my journals and wooden blocks were all mini versions of my work that anyone could fit in their budget.
I will definatly do more shows in the future. These were a lot of fun.

8 comments:

  1. Hooray Julie!
    So happy you had a good show!
    You are as lovely as your work!
    Big hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a succesful show. :) Your girls look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Julie! I wish I could have had more time to walk around, but as you know it was packed. Love your artwork!
    Take care,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you !
    Your work is beautiful and original,
    and you have nothing to worry about !
    This is good practice for the days in the future
    when you will be doing book signings !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elena talked about your dolls on her blog and showed the one she made. She said you told her how to make them, but of course, she didn't tell me how you did it, LOL!! I have to say they truly are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your art is so amazing! I am in total awe.

    Anita ♥
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
    http://asesaj.blogspot.com/
    aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Julie,
    I read about you and your work in the Somerset Studio Magazine. I can´t believe how creative you are - your work is unbelievable beautiful - I´m speechless! Greetings from Vienna/Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mini journals??????!!!! Where!!!!! I am a journal junky!!!

    ReplyDelete