Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WHAT i hAVE bEEN uP tO....


Ha ha, the number and cap lock was on when I typed the title in but I like it so I will leave it alone!
Ahhhh...blogging has seemed like such a chore lately so I haven't done much of it. I can't believe half of the year is almost over so I think I really need to get back into the swing of things.
This year so far has been like for most, mixed with immense blessings and with great turmoil and sadness.
Art-wise, I was asked to do some chipboard shapes for a company in Arizona called Leaky Shed Studios. I am in the process of finishing up this project. These should be in stores by summer. I had a hard time wrapping my head around bare chipboard until I saw their product and it's so beautiful and of the best quality. It will be such fun to experiment with these! I will also be teaching at a retreat in Flagstaff, Arizona this summer with an amazing group of artists.
Oh...and speaking of teaching...it's just been confirmed that I will be going on a 3 week teaching tour in
Oct - Nov to Australia with Prima. So excited!
All this activity has forced me to clean out my studio and office areas in my home. I have to be extremely organized to work my best. I can't stand chaos and I absolutely have to have pretty work spaces so this is taking some careful thought and a lot of time!
Between all this and teaching 2 weekends a month (that's a lot of class samples to make!) I haven't made a whole lot of art. But I can't complain. As you can see, it has been truly a blessed year for me so far.
But sadness has set in. I am packing today, to head to up north for a few days to start the cleaning of my mom's house. We have had to make that ever so tough decision to move her into an assisted care facility. She has had horrible health issues for the last 12 years and had a heart attack last week. We have put this off for as long as we could. The house is where I grew up...50 years old and 50 years of stuff in it. So I shall begin the daunting task of cleaning out and getting it in shape to rent out. I'm sure this will involve many trips this summer until we finish.
Well, that's it in a nutshell. The first 6 months of goodness and sadness. But then, that's what life is, isn't it?

9 comments:

  1. can't wait for you to be here in Australia and to see you again. Hope they allow you a few days in Brisbane. And with the climate being Spring it will be the perfect time to come too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats,have fun in Australia, don't suppose you're coming to Perth? I look forward to getting some of those stamps for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart hurts for you and the task ahead of you. I am truly sorry to hear about your mom. On the other hand, I am also very happy to hear all the success in your life and the new creative ways I will get to use the fabulous Julie Nutting designs. Looking forward to hearing about your Australian adventures. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. It sounds like your work is really being recognized by all. I am sorry about your mom. My mom lives with us since my dad passed away last year. It is a blessing, but I know some day I will be dealing with sadness, too. I hope you have a successful trip in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, Congrats on your many art adventures...seems your ladies are going to be all over this world. What a legacy.

    I am sorry about your mom. I lost my mom a couple of years ago. I was blessed to be able to care for her in her journey to the next life. It still was so very difficult---to make certain she was always safe. Blessings to you and the family. Geo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds so wonderful art-wise, sorry to hear about your mom though. Can't wait to see all your goodies and hoping to one day take one of your classes. Tried to get in on one last weekend, but couldn't get anyone to call me back, so I missed out.

    Take care and your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked over and saw that I didn't miss out on your class yet, it's not until June 2nd, so will try to call SI again.

      Delete
  7. Love the fresco image...may be using the wrong word but, that is what came to mind. Ohh...the blend of colors and images is fabulous. Haven't been there with my mom and totally dreading that but, have been there with my Gma...loved that woman...so did mom...so did 10 grandchildren, in laws... difficult and emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie,
    I have just discovered you and your wonderful art and paper dolls today. I am in love! Your dolls are wonderful, and like so many others of our age group, I have always loved paper dolls...the kind you had to cut out carefully around every tab, so the clothes would stay on properly. (I read your post about the poor book review regarding the paper doll book that didn't punch out...Terrible!) I can also relate to your current situation with your mom. I went through this same scenario about seven years ago. My mother lived about 11 hours from us, too far to go to care for her in an emergent situation. It took almost an entire summer of going back and forth to clean out a house whose closets probably hadn't been cleaned in 30+ years. We sold her house, moved her in next door to us, bringing just enough of her "stuff" to make her comfortable here, but having to get rid of everything else. You will get through it! Thank God for my husband who pitched in from time to time or I never would have made it. My best to you with this daunting, but doable task. I guess it is just our turn. Because our kids will have to do it for us, I want to start the process slowly now, so it won't be so difficult for them. But now...I want to find a copy of your book! Can't wait to see and read it! Hugs & Good Thoughts, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete